I have some exciting news. We are planning a trip to Turkey!
Yes, if you are thinking we have been there before, you are right. However, 12 hours layover in Istanbul did not do justice to this extremely history-rich country, where a blend of cultures and continents happen like nowhere else. One thing to note is our departure location. While you read and plan your trip, consider the fact that we will be flying from Fort McMurray, AB in Canada – a community of 85,000 people in northern Alberta. This is a piece of information I find missing in most blogs and information on the internet. Because we are already travelling for 18 plus hours internationally, it is important to plan what lies ahead when you get to your destination and the mode of local transportation you choose to go from one city to another.
In this post, I will highlight how we planned a 10 days trip to Turkey and there will a separate post on our post-travel experience.
- decide a time when tickets are not sky-rocketing – check
- decide what is your budget that doesn’t you an arm and leg – check
- decide when its not too hot, not too cold – check
- book time-off from work for both you and hubby – check
- read multiple blogs on Turkey based on the number of days you have set for your trip and do your own research – check
- decide what cities to go to based on what is important to you – check
Our highly recommended reading list includes these amazing posts. Not only they are simple to follow, they have a day by day itinerary including some ‘normal’ photography of some amazing shots and recommendations of hotels and restaurants.
Go to your nearest library and borrow the following books:
Steps to chop down the above information:
- Decide what cities/spots are important for you.
- What do you want to see?
- What can you accomplish depending on your budget and on your health? (are you a hiker, a biker, do you wish to see the country by road? Do you want to drive? Do you have any medical needs that you should be aware of?)
Are you ready for it? Here’s our itinerary from April 12 to April 23, 2019.
(If you have traveled this path before, let us know your thoughts. Any suggestions will be appreciated!)
- Day 1 – Fly to London, U.K. from Fort McMurray via Calgary
- Day 2 – Fly to Istanbul, Turkey from London, U.K. 12 hrs. layover- stay at brother’s place. 🙂
- Day 3 – One day and night in Istanbul
- Day 4 – One day and night in Istanbul
- Day 5 – Fly to Konya, Turkey, spend the night there
- Day 6 – Take a bus to Cappadocia, central Turkey – 5 hours ride
- Day 7 – One day and night in Cappadocia
- Day 8 – Fly to Izmir, western Turkey
- Day 9 – one day and night in Izmir
- Day 10 – Fly back to Istanbul
- Day 11 – Fly from Istanbul to London, U.K. via Antalya (7 hours layover)
- Day 12 – Fly back home to Fort McMurray from London, U.K. via Calgary
Stay tuned for more info as we come closer to our trip. There will be updates made to this post and another one post-trip on what worked and what didn’t work for us.
If there’s anything that interests you, let us know and we will try our best to either answer your query or include it here.
If you have traveled this path before, let us know your thoughts. Any suggestions will be appreciated!